Chopped Kale Salad with Crushed Hazelnuts, Aged Gouda, and Spicy Anchovy Dressing
Technically an aioli, this creamy dressing stands up well to hearty kale. If you don’t like anchovies, substitute 1 teaspoon salt. You’ll have leftover dressing; use the extra as a dip for crudité.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons grated aged gouda (try Artikaas Vintage Lot 18 or 36)
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup shelled hazelnuts
- 2 bunches Lacinato kale ribs discarded and leaves cut into ¼-inch ribbons
- ½ cup shaved aged gouda (try Artikaas Vintage Lot 18 or 36)
- ►DRESSING: Combine egg yolks, Worcestershire, anchovies, grated gouda, lemon zest and juice, sherry vinegar, and black pepper in a blender. Begin blending on low, then steadily increase speed to medium-high. With blender running, add canola oil and blend until emulsified. Measure out ¼ cup and reserve remainder for another use (see headnote).
- ►SALAD: Spread hazelnuts on a cutting board. With back of a knife, smash hazelnuts into coarse pieces (don’t worry about uniformity; it’s nice to have variety).
- ►Toss together kale, hazelnuts, and dressing. Gently massage salad with your hands until kale is coated and has begun to soften. Top with shaved gouda and serve.
Photography by Jennifer May.