Clothbound Cheddar and Dill Biscuits
A classic savory and flaky biscuit elevated with aromatic dill and earthy cheese.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cultured butter cut into cubes and chilled 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 pound clothbound cheddar cheese crumbled into small pieces
- 1/3 cup lightly packed fresh dill chopped
- 1 large egg beaten
- Heat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Cut chilled butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your hands. Add buttermilk and mix until just combined with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the coarse dough mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Add cheese and dill to center of the mixture and fold dough onto itself four times, pressing to combine with each fold. Once dough comes together, roll into a 11⁄4 inch thick circle. Stamp 14 biscuits using a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits onto prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Brush chilled biscuit tops with egg wash and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.