This French riff on a grilled cheese is made even easier by swapping in cool crème fraîche for béchamel sauce.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of crème fraîche on each slice of bread. Top 2 slices with half the cheese, ham, the remaining cheese, and the remaining bread. Sprinkle some extra grated cheese over the top of the closed sandwiches.
- Place sandwiches on a rack on a baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bread begins to crisp and the cheese begins to melt, watching closely. Broil for an additional minute or 2 to brown the cheese. Serve immediately.
- * If you want to derivate from the traditional cheese for this recipe, here are some suggestions for alternate cheeses, all pulled from the 75 award-winning cheeses described within our Best Cheeses 2014 issue.
- Fromagerie du Presbytère Louis d’Or
- Fromagerie F. X. Pichet Baluchon
- Bleating Heart Cheese Fat Bottom Girl
- Hidden Springs Creamery Meadow Melody Grande
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/