French Onion Meatballs
These chicken meatballs contain all the flavors of a classic French onion soup in every bite. They can be baked and frozen then reheated for delightful hors d'oeuvres.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup grated Comté
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ►Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- ►Place butter and onions in a heavy-bottomed pan over low heat. Cook until onions are a deep caramel color, stirring occasionally so that they don’t burn. Set aside to cool.
- ► In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg, salt, and thyme. Add ground chicken, Comté, breadcrumbs and cooled onions. Use a rubber spatula or your hands to combine ingredients just until they come together. The mixture will be wet.
- ►Use a tablespoon scoop to measure meatball size, about 1½” in diameter. Gently roll into balls and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/