Fromager d’Affinois with Cinnamon-Sage Apples and Umami Pecans
This cozy, flavor-loaded appetizer is a true crowd pleaser—serve it at your next cocktail party and no one will miss the baked brie.
- Dash paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
- ½ egg white
- 2 ounces pecans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ teaspoon brown sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 6 to 7 ounces Fromager d’Affinois
- Crackers or bread, for serving
- ►Heat oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, cayenne, and a dash of cinnamon with egg white in a medium bowl and stir well with a fork. Add pecans and toss until evenly coated. Spread pecans on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Set aside to cool. Leave oven on.
- ►Combine olive oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, lemon juice, and ¼ cup water, stirring well. Cook until consistency is thick but still fluid, like a loose caramel. Add sliced apples and sage. Toss mixture until apples are evenly coated.
- ►Bake Fromager d’Affinois until it begins to ooze, just a few minutes. Top with apple mixture and pecans and serve with crackers or bread.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/