Baked Garlic Shrimp with Cotija and Summer Herbs
Gambas al ajillo is one rich tapa—here, we’ve added zippy cotija to cut the oily mouthfeel. Serve crusty bread alongside the dish to sop up the garlicky oil.
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 8 cloves garlic 4 minced and 4 thinly sliced
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces cotija cheese crumbled
- Combine shrimp, minced garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and sea salt in a bowl and toss.
- Warm remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just golden, about 1 minute. Add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and rest for 2 minutes. Add herbs and red pepper flakes and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving dish and top with cheese. Serve immediately.