Gjetost-Topped Mini Bread Puddings
With plenty of maple flavor and a gilding of melted cheese on top, these crowd-pleasing little treats are easy to make. Serve with vanilla ice cream for added decadence. You’ll need a muffin tin or 10 4-ounce ramekins for this dish.
- ½ loaf challah bread preferably stale, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 ½ cups whole milk or a mixture of milk and heavy cream, for a richer pudding
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup grated gjetost
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast 20 to 25 minutes, tossing once halfway. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla together. Add bread cubes and toss to combine. Cover bowl with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter or line a muffin tin or 10 small (4-ounce) ramekins. Stir bread mixture a few times, then fill ramekins with bread mixture. Divide cheese evenly and sprinkle over the puddings. Bake until puddings set, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.