Grilled Halloumi with Shiitake Mushroom Marinade and Truffle Honey Drizzle
This preparation elevates the summer treat that is grilled halloumi. Sherry vinegar and mushroom powder add a meaty umami element, while the honey imparts a bit of earthy sweetness. Pair the simple yet elegant dish with fresh figs and roasted walnuts as a starter or with an after-dinner cheese course. Truffle honey and shiitake powder are available in many specialty stores or online—a good source for hard-to-find ingredients is Kalustyan.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons shiitake mushroom powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 ounces halloumi, cut lengthwise into 6 slices, each about ¼-inch thick
- 2 large pita rounds, cut into 4 pieces each
- 2 tablespoons white truffle honey
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons olive oil with the vinegar, shiitake powder, and pepper. Stir until it forms a loose paste.
- Lay sliced halloumi in a single layer on a large plate, and rub paste on all surfaces of cheese until each piece is coated well. Loosely cover plate with plastic wrap and marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium, and lightly brush additional oil on both sides of pita bread. Grill pita bread and halloumi for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until seared golden brown.
- Arrange halloumi in single layer on serving platter and serve honey on the side for drizzling (a little goes a long way). Serve with grilled pita bread.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/