Kale Caesar Salad
This classic salad calls for a proper Caesar dressing made with raw egg—use the freshest you can find. If you can’t find boquerones, any anchovies will work.
- 6 anchovies chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grapeseed canola, or other neutral oil
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups cubed crusty Italian bread such as pane pugliese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch curly kale ribs removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- Grated parmesan cheese to garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper to garnish
- Boquerones to garnish
- Combine anchovies, garlic, mustard, and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until a smooth paste forms. Add egg yolk and pulse to combine. Slowly pour in oils, pulsing until a thick, emulsified dressing forms. Do not leave motor running or the dressing could break. Stir in parmesan cheese. Season with pepper.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.Toss bread with olive oil and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake, tossing halfway through, until bread is golden and crispy, about 15 minutes. Set croutons aside until salad is assembled.
- Toss kale with dressing in a large serving bowl. You may not need all the dressing. Top with croutons, freshly grated parmesan cheese, and a few grinds of black pepper. Scatter boquerones on top. Serve immediately.
Photo Credit Lisa Monahan