Grilled Lamb with a Salad of Spring Lettuces, Fresh Herbs, and Creamy Feta Dressing
Lamb is a quintessential spring protein, and pairing it with creamy feta and cooling herbs yields a Mediterranean lunch that is perfect for the first al fresco meal of the season.
CREAMY FETA DRESSING (Makes 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces sheep’s milk feta
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lamb leg fat removed, sliced into 12 thin strips
- 2 heads bibb lettuce leaves torn into bite- size pieces
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/4 cup sliced radish
- 1/4 cup creamy feta dressing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black peppet to taste
CREAMY FETA DRESSING
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. If dressing is too thick, add a few tablespoons of water; if it is too thin, add a little more mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Combine all ingredients in a sealable plastic bag, seal, and massage bag to coat lamb with marinade. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium- high heat or until charcoal embers are low and evenly heated.
- Remove lamb from bag and arrange onto metal skewers. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and rest meat on a wire rack for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add lettuce, arugula, pea shoots, herbs, and radishes to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle dressing over vegetables and gently toss until vegetables are evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide salad and grilled lamb between four dinner plates. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.