Savory Maplebrook Ricotta and Spinach Pie
This easy dish is perfect for that brunch you have coming up this weekend! Family-friendly, time-friendly and vegetarian-friendly it’s bound to leave everyone happy. Soft ricotta mixed with fresh baby spinach is a savory combination that is delicious and easy to make. Looking for an excuse to add more cheese? Sprinkle with fresh feta right out of the oven!
- Pastry Dough:
- • 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- • Pinch of salt
- • 1 ½ stick butter diced, plus extra for greasing
- • 2 egg yolks
- • 1/3 cup ice-cold water
- Pie Filling:
- • 3 cups thawed frozen spinach (about 1pound)
- • 2 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 large onion chopped
- • 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- • 2 eggs lightly beaten
- • 8 ounces Maplebrook ricotta cheese
- • ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- • Pinch of nutmeg
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dough, sift the flour with salt in a bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to work in the butter until the consistency is that of fine bread crumbs.
- Beat the egg yolks with the water in a small bowl. Sprinkle the liquid over the flour mixture and combine with a rubber spatula to form a dough. Shape into a ball, wrap loosely in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9-inch loose-bottom tart pan (a regular pie dish works well too).
- To make the filling, drain the spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. In a skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about five to seven minutes, adding the garlic to the skillet towards the end. Remove from the heat and let cool for several minutes.
- In a mixing bowl stir together Maplebrook ricotta, eggs, spinach, and onion mixture. Season with spices.
- Grease the baking pan. On a lightly floured surface, roll out two-thirds of the dough into a circle and transfer it into the prepared pan. Trim and crimp edges as needed. Spoon the ricotta mixture into the pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Serve pie slices with generous dollops of Maplebrook ricotta cheese and sprigs of fresh herbs, like parsley or basil. Enjoy!
There is a third of the dough left, which is enough to create a lattice or other decorative pattern on top, if desired.