Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Tomatoes, Fennel, Pearl Couscous, and Feta
If you don’t have metal skewers, you will need to use wooden skewers, such as bamboo. Soak them in warm water for 10 to 30 minutes before threading to keep the skewers from cooking along with the food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil separated, plus more for serving
- 2 fennel bulbs cored, sliced (fronds set aside)
- 12 ounces grape tomatoes quartered
- 2 cups pearl couscous
- ½ teaspoon salt
- GRILLED SHRIMP AND FENNEL
- 2 pounds extra-large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Olive oil for brushing shrimp and grill
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ►In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until just smoking. Add fennel and sauté until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, until just golden.
- ►Add tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes, then remove from pan. Set aside.
- ►Wipe out pan with paper towel. Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil and couscous, stirring frequently until about half the grains are golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add salt and 2 ½ cups water, stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed (about 6 to 9 minutes). Remove saucepan from heat and let stand covered for at least 3 minutes.
- ►Toss warm couscous with more olive oil, fennel and tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and place in refrigerator.
- ►Arrange shrimp on a rimmed baking sheet and pat dry with paper towels. Thread shrimp onto 4 skewers. Brush both sides of skewers with oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- ►Start with a clean and oiled grill. Place skewers on grill and cook, uncovered, until charred, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until flesh is pink and no longer translucent. Move skewers as needed to ensure doneness. Transfer cooked skewers to another clean rimmed baking sheet.
- ►Transfer couscous to serving platter, remove shrimp from skewers, and add shrimp to couscous. Top with feta and serve with an extra drizzle of olive oil if desired.