Old Fashioned Hot Buttered Rum
Whether you've been tromping through sleet and cold on your way home from work or you just got off the snowy slopes during a winter vacation, a steaming mug of hot buttered rum is just what you need to warm you from your head to your toes. Want a kid-friendly nonalcoholic version? Try our recipe for a Hot Buttered Cow.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted, good quality butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 24 ounces water
- 8 ounces dark rum
- With a hand mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt until thick and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- In a saucepan, warm the water and rum together over medium heat until steaming but not boiling.
- Assemble 4 heatproof mugs. Place 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture in each mug. Pour 8 ounces of the hot rum and water mixture into each mug. Blend well and serve hot.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/