Photo Credit: Image of Homemade Hot Buttered Rum courtesy of Shutterstock
Old Fashioned Hot Buttered Rum
Whether you've been tromping through sleet and cold on your way home from work or you just got off the snowy slopes during a winter vacation, a steaming mug of hot buttered rum is just what you need to warm you from your head to your toes. Want a kid-friendly nonalcoholic version? Try our recipe for a Hot Buttered Cow.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted good quality butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 24 ounces water
- 8 ounces dark rum
- With a hand mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt until thick and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- In a saucepan, warm the water and rum together over medium heat until steaming but not boiling.
- Assemble 4 heatproof mugs. Place 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture in each mug. Pour 8 ounces of the hot rum and water mixture into each mug. Blend well and serve hot.