Roquefort and Cherry Tomato Crêpes
A savory crêpe is such a dreamy thing to treat yourself to. You’ll find them in creperies throughout France but stateside they are less common than their sweet cousins. If you don’t have buckwheat flour, you can use all-purpose exclusively and it will work just fine.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter cooled slightly, plus more for cooking
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for serving
- 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Roquefort crumbled
- A few small handfuls of arugula or chopped herbs
- Flaky salt to garnish
- ►In a mixing bowl combine flours and salt. Add milk and eggs, whisking to combine. Add cooled melted butter. Let batter rest in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking, or overnight.
- ► In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. When it shimmers, add cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook just until they soften, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Clean skillet and return to stove.
- ►Heat oven to 300°F with a rack in the middle.
- ►Over medium heat melt ½ tablespoon butter. When it bubbles, swirl it around and add cup of the batter, tilting the pan to spread it out into an even layer. Once it’s set, about 2 minutes, flip and allow the other side to cook. Transfer it to a platter, and cover with a clean towel. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding a little more butter to the pan as needed.
- ►Moving one crêpe at a time to a parchment lined sheet tray, place a few of the cooked cherry tomatoes and about 1 ounce of Roquefort in the center, and then fold in each edge of the crepe to square it off. Fill remaining crêpes and transfer to oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. ►To serve, transfer crêpes to plates with a wide spatula and finish with a handful of arugula or some chopped herbs, a drizzle of olive oil and some flaky salt. Enjoy right away.