Roti Pizza with Saag and Feta
This pizza transforms the elements of saag, a traditional leaf-based Indian dish, into a raw salad. Reach for seasonal greens to make the saag bright and fresh. Plan to make the Habenero Chili Oil at least a day in advance.
HABANERO CHILI OIL
- 3 pounds habanero peppers
- ½ tablespoon wine yeast available at most brew shops
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- ½ pound honeycomb
- ½ tablespoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups olive oil
- ⅓ cup purple basil
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ tablespoon active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 bunches dandelion greens about 3 cups
- 2 bunches mustard greens about 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon peeled and diced fresh turmeric
- ½ tablespoon toasted whole cumin seed
- 3 cardamom pods crushed
- 1 tablespoon toasted coriander seed crushed
- 8 to 12 ounces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Habanero Chili Oil
- ►HABANERO CHILI OIL: The day before you want to serve this recipe, wash habaneros and mix with wine yeast and 1 tablespoon salt in a ceramic crock. Cover crock with plastic wrap and set aside somewhere warm overnight.
- ►The next day, chop habaneros and honeycomb and mix with cardamom. Add remaining salt.
- ►Heat oven to 325°F. Add habanero mixture, olive oil, and basil to a cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, rest, then transfer to a glass bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
- ►DOUGH: Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center to add olive oil and yogurt, then combine using your hands. Make another well and add ½ tablespoon warm water until you get a smooth and elastic ball. Cover and set aside in a warm place.
- ►TOPPING: Heat oven to 425°F. Roughly chop greens, then add to a large bowl. Add salt, olive oil, and spices to greens. Using your hands, take about of the dough and form a 9-inch circle. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place all six 9-inch circles on well-oiled or parchment paper lined baking sheets. Top with greens and feta, then place in oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- ►Remove pizza from oven. Top with more olive oil and Habanero Chili Oil, then serve hot.