Stilton and Walnut Tartlets
The walnuts are incorporated into the pastry of these savory tartlets. You can blind bake the pastry shells up to three days in advance, and store them in an airtight container.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cubed, plus more to grease pan
- 1 ounce walnuts finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks trimmed and minced
- 7 ounces heavy cream
- 8 ounces Stilton crumbled
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 egg yolks room temperature
- ► Sift flour into food processor. Add butter and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Gently fold in walnuts and just enough cold water to bring dough together. Avoid overmixing.
- ►Grease a 3 ½-inch muffin tin with butter. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half dough to about ¼-inch thick. Cut out 6, 4 ½-inch circles to fit inside muffin tin. Continue with second half of dough. Press pastry circles into muffin tin and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 400°F.
- ►Remove pastry from refrigerator. Fill pastry with pie weights or dried beans. Blind bake for 10 minutes and remove pie weights from shells.
- ►Melt butter in a skillet. Add leeks and cook until soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of cream, Stilton, salt, and pepper.
- ►In a small saucepan bring cream to a gentle simmer. Whisk egg yolks together and slowly add to cream, stirring constantly. Remove saucepan from heat and add cheese mixture to combine.
- ►Add filling evenly to pastry shells. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes. Allow tartlets to cool inside muffin tins before removing.