This French-style potato bake can be made with any soft, meltable cheese.
- 1¼ pounds yellow potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 pound smoked pancetta, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 2½ cups crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1 wheel Reblochon cheese, sliced into ¼-inch-thick pieces
- ►Heat oven to 375°F. Add potatoes, milk, and ¾ cup water to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are soft but firm, around 6 to 8 minutes.
- ►Remove potatoes from cooking liquid. Set aside, discarding cooking liquid.
- ►Add diced pancetta to a large frying pan set over medium heat. Cook in batches until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Set aside.
- ►To the same pan, add butter, onion, and garlic and cook until golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add bay leaf and thyme, stir to combine, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add cooked pancetta cubes and flour and cook for 2 more minutes before adding wine. Cook until wine has evaporated. Add crème fraîche and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- ►In a glass baking dish (or other ovenproof baking vessel), arrange potatoes in a thin layer, overlapping slices as necessary. Remove bay leaf, then pour crème fraîche mixture evenly over potatoes.
- ►Place slices of Reblochon on top of potatoes. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/