Whiskey and Whey
Reputable bars have recently taken the whiskey sour back to its roots—it’s no longer the whiskey-plus-sour-mix swill of the 1990s. Many places will use a bit of egg white to froth the drink. Here, whey acts as the emulsifying agent, lending texture to the cocktail while offering just a hint of extra acidity.
- 1 ½ ounces Rittenhouse Rye whiskey
- 1 ounce whey
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ ounce maple simple syrup 1:1 maple syrup to water, heated until dissolved
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Lemon slice to garnish
- Maraschino cherry to garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker. Add ice. Shake for several minutes until chilled, diluted, and frothy.
- Strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with lemon slice and maraschino cherry.