Sponsored by Widmer’s Cheese Cellars
Beer Cheese Soup
Looking for a hearty, flavorful soup to warm up the colder months? This version of a classic favorite boasts delicious, rich cheese flavor and soothing comfort.
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups 12 ounces beer
- 8 ounces Widmer’s Cheddar cheese shredded (2 cups)
- 8 ounces Widmer’s Colby cheese shredded (2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 pretzel rolls optional
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- ►Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper towel to drain. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon. Set aside.
- ►Combine flour and cold water in a bowl until smooth. Whisk the milk, beer, cheddar, colby, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until cheese are melted. Slowly whisk in flour mixture. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 8-10 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- ►Hollow out pretzel rolls, if desired, with a sharp knife for bowls. Spoon soup into rolls or serving bowls. Garnish with chives and reserved bacon.