Picture a typical Fourth of July picnic spread. You’ve got the classic apps and sides: potato chips, macaroni salad, watermelon wedges. The main course usually takes the form of hot dogs and burgers hot off the grill. If there’s dessert, it might appear in shades (artificial or natural) of red, white, and blue. It’s as traditional as Thanksgiving dinner, which can be a great thing—but we’re here to mix it up a bit. Can we interest you in a bit of chèvre with your sparklers?
As the leading makers of goat cheese in the US, Montchevre uses traditional French techniques to create a cheese that’s smooth, creamy, and subtly piquant. Also known as chèvre (French for “goat”), this style of goat cheese is the go-to for topping salads and pizza, but its delicate flavor profile lends itself equally well to sweeter dishes (try it in homemade ginger-chèvre ice cream). Montchevre mixes things up by infusing all kinds of additional flavors into their goat cheese logs, from honey to truffle to jalapeño and more.
Taking inspiration from the good ol’ Stars and Stripes, we’re whipping up a batch of snowy, citrus-kissed goat cheese spread made with Montchevre Plain Goat Cheese, topping it with blueberries and strawberries, and serving on crunchy crostini. It’s tangy, sweet, savory, and patriotic, all in one scrumptious bite.
Berry-Citrus Layer Dip with Montchevre Plain Goat Cheese
- 6 ounces blueberries 1 small container
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 16 ounces strawberries 1 container, chopped or sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 teaspoons sugar divided
- 2 4- ounce Montchevre Plain Goat Cheese Logs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Few sprigs mint chopped
- 1 baguette
- ►Combine blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a bowl. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving.
- ►In a separate bowl, combine strawberries, lime juice, and remaining teaspoon sugar. Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
- ►Combine goat cheese, honey, salt, and a splash of water in a food processor. Whip until smooth.
- ►Cut baguette into thin slices. Toast before serving.
- ►Top toasted baguette slices with whipped goat cheese mixture, followed by strawberries and/or blueberries. Sprinkle with chopped mint to serve.
Sponsored by Saputo, Inc.