Sponsored by 3 Pecorini
To celebrate the radish, the first of the spring vegetables, we dip the tangy taproots into soft butter and shower with grated Pecorino Sardo Maturo PDO.
- 8-12 red radishes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter ½ stick
- ½ cup finely grated Pecorino Sardo Maturo PDO loosely packed, about an ounce
- Flaky salt as needed
- ►Thoroughly wash and dry radishes and trim the greens to about an inch, so they act as a handle. Cut each radish in half vertically, so it will lay flat face-down.
- ►Microwave butter for 45 seconds, or until it’s about half-melted, then whisk together until it’s the same consistency throughout, and pale and opaque in color. Let cool for a few minutes to thicken.
- ►Swipe each radish through butter so that most of the red skin is covered, then gently roll butter-covered half in cheese. Lay cut side down on a Silpat- or wax paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with all of the radish halves. If butter starts to harden, pop it back in the microwave for five seconds and continue. To finish, sprinkle each radish with flaky salt.
- ►Place baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least half an hour, until the butter has hardened. Serve chilled.