Sponsored by Norseland.
Jarlsberg Mac and Cheese with Jalapeño and Crispy Pork Belly
Jarlsberg is an excellent melter with a nutty flavor: Perfect for mac and cheese. Layer some spicy jalapeño and crispy pork belly into the classic comfort food dish; you’ll want to grab a fork and dig right in.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces pork belly sliced
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño seeds removed and cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound farfalle bow-tie pasta, cooked al dente and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- ► Preheat oven to 400°F
- ► In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add pork belly and cook until browned and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- ► To the same pan, add shallot, reduce heat to low, and slowly cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeño slices and continue cooking until slices have softened, another 5 to 7 minutes.
- ► Sprinkle flour over shallot and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. While whisking constantly, add heavy cream; simmer for 5 minutes (mixture will thicken).
- ► Slowly add Jarlsberg and whisk until smooth and melted, then stir in parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- ► Fold in the cooked pasta, pork belly, and jalapeño. Toss to mix well.
- ► Place in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish; sprinkle with additional Jarlsberg cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.