Sponsored by Volpi Foods
Carta di Musica Flatbread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for rolling (spooned then leveled)
- 1 cup fine semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Sesame seeds
- Fennel pollen
- Caraway seeds
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Special Equipment
- Pasta roller or rolling pin
- ►Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- ►Whisk the flour, semolina and salt in a large bowl. Gradually pour in the water and stir with a
- spoon or your hands until it forms a dough. Knead against the side of the bowl until the dough
- picks up all the stray bits and comes together in a smooth, dry ball. Add more flour if the dough
- is sticky, or add a few drops of water if it’s dry. Cut into about 14 (1½-ounce) balls. Cover with
- plastic wrap.
- ►Working with one ball at a time, pat each ball into a disc, dust lightly with flour and run through
- the widest opening on the pasta roller. Fold in half, then run through the same opening again.
- Turn the dial to the next narrower setting and pass the dough through the rollers. Continue in
- this way to stretch and thin the dough, turning the dial one setting at time until the dough has
- passed through the narrowest setting. It should be thin enough to see through. If the strips get
- too long to handle, cut in half and continue. Use just enough flour to keep the dough from
- sticking to the rollers. They can get up to 3 feet long. (Alternatively, you can roll each one out with a rolling pin, getting them as thin as possible.
- You’re still aiming for see-through.)
- ►If necessary, cut the dough so it fits on your baking sheets. Sprinkle with desired toppings and
- use your fingers or the flat bottom of a metal measuring cup to gently press them into the
- dough. Repeat rolling and topping you have enough to fill 1 or 2 baking sheets.
- ►Bake until the pieces curl, crisp and brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully, they’re delicate little
- things that can go from brown to burned in a heartbeat. Repeat with remaining dough.
- ►Serve whole as part of a salume platter with Volpi® Prosciutto, Salame, Coppa and Bresaola.