If you don’t have a Dutch oven, or if you’d prefer to leave the carnitas unattended, sear the pork in a large, heavy-bottom skillet, then transfer the meat and remaining ingredients to a slow cooker. Set to low and cook 8 hours. Whatever you do, don’t skip searing the meat—it adds essential texture and flavor.
- 2 pounds pork roast
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 dried chipotle peppers
- 24 ounces beer
- 1 lime halved
- Heat oven to 325°F. Cut pork into quarters and trim any excess fat.
- Combine spices in a small bowl. Rub mixture over pork pieces to coat.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven set over medium-high heat.
- Sear pork pieces until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Add chipotle peppers and beer to Dutch oven, cover, and transfer to oven.
- Cook 4 hours, or until meat shreds easily.
- Discard chipotle peppers. Using two forks, shred meat in the Dutch oven, incorporating juices. Squeeze lime over meat and stir.
- To store, use tongs to transfer carnitas to a lidded container, adding some braising liquid to keep the meat from drying out once reheated.