Photo Credit: Image of English Muffin Grilled Cheese Sandwich courtesy of Shutterstock
Cheddar, Bacon, Grilled Apple, and Onion on Toasted English Muffin
This makes a great weekend lunch or brunch sandwich. Feel free to leave out the bacon–it’s tasty but it’s really all about the grilled apple and onion and—of course—the melted cheese! Any full flavored, semi-firm cheddar or gouda-style cheese will be nice here. My local preference would be for Redwood Hill’s wonderful new Gravenstein Gold, Achadinhea’s Capricious, Bodega Shepherd, or the popular Midnight Moon. Add a salad of bitter greens and maybe a few toasted walnuts, since you have the oven on anyway!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 good sized cooking apple like Gravenstein Pippin, or Fuji
- 1 large red onion
- 6 slices of applewood style bacon or Willie Bird turkey bacon
- 3 - 4 ounces artisan cheddar
- 2 English muffins or 4 slices sourdough
- Your favorite honey mustard
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet, warm the butter and oil. When it’s really hot add the thick center slices of both the onion and the apple, 1 to 2 slices of each per sandwich. Turn the heat way down and let cook for about 10 minutes until very brown before flipping.
- While the onion and apple finish cooking, cook the bacon in a medium skillet until almost crispy. Set aside on a paper towel. Toast your bread on a baking sheet in the warming oven while you slice or shred the cheese.
- To assemble the sandwich, pile cheese on one side of each warm muffin and return these to the oven until melted. On the other side, divide the apples and onions. Add the bacon. Top with the cheesy side of the muffin and serve. Pass the mustard!