We worked with Kate Arding for several years when we opened Cowgirl Creamery, and her English style continues to influence our work today. Being from Kent, Kate has a distinct voice and accent that has resonated through the American cheese world. Knowing how she adores grilled cheese sandwiches—which she lovingly refers to as Grilleys—we dedicate this very British version to her.
- 4 ounces fromage blanc
- 4 ounces Wagon Wheel or fontina or young asiago cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Stilton finely crumbled or grated
- 6 slices walnut bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, combine all three cheeses. Divide the cheese mixture evenly between the three slices of the bread, top with the remaining three bread slices to form sandwiches, and butter the outside of the bread.
- Heat a well-seasoned cast iron skillet or any large pan with a heavy bottom over medium heat.
- Place a sandwich in the heated pan, and cook until the bread touching the pan is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich, and continue to cook until the cheese is completely melted and the bottom of the sandwich is golden brown. Repeat for each sandwich, and serve right away.
Adapted from Cowgirl Creamery Cooks