This recipe is part of a series promoting delicious Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano Night, a virtual global dinner party happening on October 25, 2014. If you love Parmigiano (and really, who doesn’t?), be sure to celebrate Parmigiano Reggiano Night on October 25 using the free Parmigiano Reggiano App. This app will allow you to be part of a global dinner party celebrating the king of cheese. Don’t miss out on the fun, sign up for the app right now!
Parmesan Cream Sauce
Parmesan cream sauce is simple to make and very versatile. Made with our Parmesan Broth (or use chicken or vegetable broth) and milk, this Parmesan cream sauce is light without losing its creamy flavor. You can vary the amount of cream in this Parmesan cream sauce recipe, or even forego it altogether because the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in the sauce makes it velvety and rich.
- In a heavy sauce pan melt the butter until it is bubbling. Add the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon or spatula, creating a roux. Cook the roux for several minutes. Take care not to let it brown at all.
- Slowly add the broth, stirring vigorously with a whisk to remove any lumps. Keep adding the liquid—first the broth, then the milk—until you have created a smooth sauce.
- Add the nutmeg, ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper (or to your taste), and cook the sauce on low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- While the sauce is hot, add the Parmigiano Reggiano and stir until it is fully incorporated and melted. Add the cream, if using, then correct the seasonings.
- If you are making this sauce ahead of time, put a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap over the sauce while it cools to prevent a skin from forming.
Adapted from Parmesan.com