Saint Angel “Fancy Toast” with Red Pepper Jam and Toasted Pine Nuts
If you’re a "Top Chef" fan, you may recall chef Carrie Baird repeatedly impressing the judges with charming renditions of her beloved “Fancy Toast.” This version features creamy Saint Angel cheese with sweet and spicy pepper jam, tangy sourdough, crunchy pine nuts, and herbaceous fresh basil. It makes for a fun breakfast, brunch, an afternoon snack, and it’s also lovely alongside a cup of tea.
- 4 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 to 5 dashes hot sauce (try Sriracha)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces Saint Angel cheese, quartered
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 ounces pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ►Add peppers to a food processor and process until mostly smooth. Pour into a bowl and add salt. Stir to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
- ►Drain off half the liquid that has separated from the peppers. Pour remaining pepper mixture into a saucepan with the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, and hot sauce and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it reduces to a thick, jam-like consistency. Set aside to cool.
- ►Heat oven to 500°F. Butter each piece of sourdough with ¼ to ½ teaspoon butter
- (depending on your preference). Place bread slices on a sheet pan and bake 4 minutes,
- rotating the pan halfway through to ensure even toasting. Remove slices from oven and slather each with a generous layer of the pepper jam. Layer Saint Angel pieces over jam and top with basil, pine nuts, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/