Stone Fruit Chutney
Note the sweet aroma of roasting stone fruit emanating from the oven. This chutney is the perfect companion to fresh or aged chèvre.
- 5 large firm, ripe organic peaches and/or nectarines (approx. 12 oz), pitted and sliced in large chunks
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 4-6 cardamom pods lightly smashed with flat side of chef’s knife
- 2 star anise whole pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine fruit with canola oil in medium bowl, then spill out onto a cookie sheet; oven-roast for approximately 45 minutes. Keep an eye on fruit and remove from oven once slightly caramelized.
- Once cool, cut fruit in smaller dice-size and return to bowl. Add sugar, vinegar, cardamom, and anise; toss gently. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature to macerate, tossing occasionally.
- Remove cardamom and anise prior to serving; refrigerate.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Can be made one day ahead; cover and chill.