Mozzarella-stuffed meatballs make a great appetizer, snack, or spaghetti topping with red sauce. Mixing the meat and seasoning works best if you use your hands (just be sure to wear gloves).
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced or grated on a microplane
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 16 squares
- ►Heat oven to 450ºF and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat, and set aside. Combine everything but the mozzarella in a large mixing bowl until incorporated and smooth, then divide into 16 equal portions (about 1.5 ounces each). Form each portion into a ball around a cube of mozzarella. Bake uncovered for 13 to 15 minutes, taking care to not overcook
- (otherwise the cheese will ooze out).