Winter Slaw with Apples, Cheddar, & Walnuts
An orange-hued, extra-sharp cheddar is ideal for this colorful slaw, which is as good inside a hearty sandwich as it is when served as a side salad. Because apples are juicy and the cabbage is “cured” briefly with a little vinegar, salt, and sugar, this slaw needs no extra dressing.
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup toasted chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, vinegar, sugar, and salt; toss lightly, and set aside for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheddar and green onion to cabbage, mixing until well combined. Just before serving, core apples (with skins) and coarsely grate. Toss apples and toasted walnuts with slaw mixture, and taste for seasoning, adding a pinch more salt or sugar as desired.