Sponsored by Cowgirl Creamery.
Cottage Cheese Pancakes with Strawberries
Our founder, Sue, tossed many a pancake during her eleven happy years as a breakfast cook at Bette’s Oceanview Diner in Berkley, California. This is one of her favorite pancake recipes. You’d expect the cheese to make the pancakes heavy, but the opposite is true. During cooking, the cheese and egg whites work together to make these light. You can use cottage cheese or ricotta.
- 1 pint strawberries halved
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1½ cups Cowgirl cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Vegetable oil for griddle
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Crème fraîche for accompaniment
- ►Toss the berries and sugar in a medium over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- ►Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl until thick. Add the milk and beat for another 30 seconds. Gently fold in the cottage cheese.
- ►Sift the flour, salt, and sugar in a separate bowl and pour into the cheese mixture, stirring lightly.
- ►With an electric mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until they are stiff but not dry. Gently fold the whites into the batter until just combined.
- ►Heat a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Ladle ¼ cup of the batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake, leaving space between pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, then flip.
- ►When done, spoon on berries and crème fraîche and serve.