In case you missed it, National Sandwich Day was on November 3—while we were all probably thinking about, erm, other things. In our eyes, though, any day can be sandwich day! Have a belated celebration with a cheesy hoagie, like this marinated veggie and asiago sandwich, this tri-tip steak and provolone sandwich, and/or this cauliflower and broccoli rabe pesto sandwich. If you’re looking to satisfy a sweet tooth, these oatmeal-ginger cookie sandwiches with goat cheese filling (still technically sandwiches!) will definitely do the trick.
In other cheese news:
- The World Championship Cheese Contest won’t be returning until 2022. Originally planned for February of next year, the contest is now scheduled to take place in-person in March 2022 at the Monona Terrace Convention Center in Madison, Wisconsin. In place of next year’s event, the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association will offer free and informative virtual events to keep traditions alive and attendees safe.
- Just in time for the holidays, LaClare Family Creamery is launching new chèvre products: including a Rolled Cranberry Cinnamon Goat Cheese log and goat cheese crumbles in several flavors—perfect for a charcuterie board or cheesy editions to a holiday recipe.
- The Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association is now accepting applications for its new student scholarships, which prioritize WCMA members—or their children—who are interested in pursuing careers in the dairy industry.
- The Good Food Awards’ 2021 Finalists have been announced! Check out which American-made cheeses and accompaniments made the cut this year (another excuse to stock up on delicious, locally made products).
- If social distancing measures during the holiday season are getting you down, turn to virtual gatherings! Instagram user GrateBoards is hosting virtual cheeseboard-making events all season long—for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s—that’ll get you in the holiday spirit. Plus: That Cheese Plate’s That “Charcuterwreath” Plate event is coming up in December to teach folks about putting together a stunning and cheesy holiday creation.
- Speaking of the holidays—renowned cheese painter Mike Geno is making your Christmas tree cheesier this year. His cheese portrait ornaments—featuring favorites like Parmigiano-Reggiano and Humboldt Fog—are available via his online shop now. Grab them before they’re gone!
- Finally, after a long couple weeks of election stress, it’s time to look back and laugh at the little things—like the fact that several Vermonters opted to vote for cheddar cheese as the next President of the United States. Maybe they were onto something…